Espresso of Innovation: New Year Resolutions
By Martin Talks, global digital lead & president of digital, London
How are you doing with your New Year Resolutions? If you have failed already, you are not alone. It's only a matter of time for most people. Take Health, Fitness, Diet, Yoga, Gym – very common Google searches at this time of year. Every year actually. But they soon become less interesting:http://goo.gl/Q1jCB.
Bing Search also backs this up for Health and Fitness:http://goo.gl/YLLrc.
So can digital technologies help with this annual struggle? Here are some ideas:
1. You could try a fork that tracks your eating habits.
HAPIfork is an electronic fork that monitors your eating habits. It gives you precise information about your eating schedule. It also alerts you with the help of indicator lights when you are eating too fast.
2. Become the panda you wish you could be withAmabam. Create a comic book, learn stone carving or bartending. Amabam makes discovering your next passion easy. Learn a new skill every month.
3. Brands likeInnocent smoothies recognise that January is a horrible time to start your resolutions. The weather is dreadful and the Christmas holidays have finished. Not to fret - Innocent have tried to make January fun with helpful hints and tips and fun activities. As they offer a mobile optimised experience so you can get inspiration whenever and wherever you want.
4. Of course there's an app for it. Actually there are quite a few. Here are some of them:Fitbit Flex. You may have seen a few of us sporting Nike Fuelbands around the office. Wearable activity trackers are becoming a bit of a trend at the moment. As well as Nike. there's Jawbone and Fitbit, who have just launched the Fitbit Flex. Designed to record your daily activity as well as pair up with the Fitbit smartphone app, the Flex is due out in the Spring. You can start by tracking your walk to work and run home for a start.Zombies, Run! If you want to spice up those walks and runs, why not get chased by zombies? No, not the finance department, virtual zombies.43 Things. The world's most popular online goal setting community. You can set and track up to 43 goals like "
hmmm… maybe start with just one…21 Habit. You may have heard our Institute of Decision Making talking about people being very bad at long term planning as for most of human existence there hasn't been a long life expectancy. Well even a year can seem a long time, so you could try 21-day challenges and cash rewards with this app.
5. Other ideas from the Draftfcb UK innovations team:Learn to code this year for free withCode Academy. Learn a new language for free with online toolDuolingo.
Whatever your other New Year Resolutions might be, please share some of the Espresso of Innovation blogs with your clients and prospects and contribute your own ideas email@example.com or on ourFacebook page.
Have a great year!